Tuesday 2 August 2016

Happy birthday mum!!!

My mum is one of the greatest and strongest women that I know, look up to and respect. A great woman of innumerable substance, emulative qualities and intelligence.

Mum is a go-getter! Nothing fazes her! If she sets her eyes on it, she would go get it and make a great success of it. She never gives up - be it her dreams, goals, or aspirations. Her motto is 'I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me'. One of the great philosophies that I have learnt from her is never to give up, to pursue my dreams and never to let anyone or anything come in between my aspirations and goals in life. I learnt from her how to stand strong and never be afraid of being ostracised standing up for what I believe in. I learnt from her that I do not have to do what I don't believe in just to fit in.

My mum was widowed 12 years ago.  For those 12 years she worked so hard to ensure that we lacked for nothing.  I remember how she was put through some of the worst inhuman treatment when dad went to be with his maker. Being an intelligent woman, she never engaged in or made irrelevant arguments. You see, mum is a soft-spoken, gentle natured woman with a strong and determined personality. So when people hid behind 'customs and traditions' in order to suppress and oppress her, she fought back through eloquently arguing her case - that there was no place for the oppression of women in modern day society.

A culture that required a grieving widow to have her hair shaved to the bone and strip her of all dignity. I am all for tradition and custom but not when it is oppressive, suppressive, repressive, archaic and to the detriment of women empowerment. My mum made me so proud standing up against what she believed to be a harmful and repressive custom. One of the few women to do this, risking being ostracised. A brave woman I must say!

My mum never allowed any of these to weigh her down. My mum who was an accountant went back to the University and studied law, got called to the bar and used and is still using her degree to champion the cause of the Nigerian widow. Today she is a very respectable Barrister championing the rights of women and widows. Twelve years ago, she started a charity and non-governmental organisation to empower the Nigerian widow and fight against their ill treatment. Her organisation has various branches in many parts of Nigeria. Her organisation is still empowering widows and their children.

Apart from running her private nursery, primary and secondary school which she set up more than 30 years ago, She now gives speeches, writes books and promotes women's right. My mum is not just an amazing woman, she is also an amazing mother. I cannot begin to say how much she has sacrificed for us.  She taught us not only to be punctilious but to also stand against injustice.

This write up does not do great justice to this great woman. I am so blessed that she is my mum. She loves me and everyone around her unconditionally and with such pure heart. When life tries to give me lemons, my mum is always there to support me, laugh with me and encourage me.

I love her so much! Please join me in wishing this wonderful woman a very happy birthday!


Mum, have a wonderful day. I love you!






9 comments:

  1. Thank you my beautiful daughter . God bless you abundantly in Jesus name Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen mum. Love you loads! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen mum. Love you loads! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ekwueme Onyinyechukwu3 August 2016 at 08:31

    Happy birthday to an amazing and amiable Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to my strong and dedicated mum. God bless and keep you and protect you always. I love you loads. Lily, you are a great writer and you will go places with your writing skills. Very well written. Love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete