Saturday 16 June 2018

Entry post. Life as an immigrant!

Hello everyone. It has been sometime since I last blogged. I am back now.

Here is a post sent to me by Evelyn. Enjoy!

Life as an immigrant has it's ups and downs. Living in a country where you are constantly reminded that you are an immigrant can sometimes be overwhelming.

Being a Nigerian doesn't make it easy as  well. Nigerians are often described as dodgy and fraudulent. Due to no fault of mine, I am Nigerian and I am sometimes judged for being one. I have to earn my respect. I get it sometimes, Nigeria has a bad image and reputation and our government is not doing anything to address this issue.

I was on my way to Palma De Majorca, and when I got to the boarding gate, I presented my passport and visa at the desk. I had to wait for about 10 minutes as my passport and visa details had to be recorded separately. A long queue had formed behind me and another desk had to be opened because of the delay. People were starring at me as if there was something wrong. Anyway, I already knew that was going to happen and I was expecting it.
Everywhere you go these days, it's always one immigration issue or the other. I sometimes sit and ponder. If the Nigerian government looked after her citizens and youths and created opportunities for us, perhaps we wouldn't have sojourned into another country for better opportunities and for a better life. I know I am fortunate and opportuned to have something, but for some, it is a challenge.

When I first moved over to England, I had a difficult time adjusting to the life here. I suffered from 'culture shock' for a long time. So for me, I have paid my dues. This is my home. I have built my life in this country. I have suffered, toiled, laboured and paid my taxes. I have contributed my own fair share. So immigration or no immigration, immigrant or no immigrant, I am here to stay.

1 comment:

  1. If only Nigeria looked after her citizens.... Great write up. I like this, I’m here to stay. It will only get better.

    ReplyDelete