Friday 21 January 2011

How do you deal with boastful people?

I have got this question that I need an answer to. How do you deal with boastful people? There is nothing more irritating than for someone to keep boasting about little things. I fail to understand what they want to get out of it. I don't mind someone telling me about their achievements and how they got it. Those people with great achievements deserve to talk about all the hard work they put in just to get where they are but for someone to keep telling me about mediocre stuff such as what they've bought, the money they've got blah! blah! blah! I find very irritating.  Why do people think we want to know every single thing about them. Is it to intimidate others with things such as 'Oh look at me, I am having such a wonderful life and you are not'?  LOL!!! Or 'it is all about me, put the spot light on me'. People like that are the ones with little self-esteem and self confidence. They want to get praise off people and would tell any tale to get that praise. Sometimes, people like that have empty lives and what they do is try to belittle others so that they can feel better about themselves. There are people going through one difficulty or the other and people have to be sensitive to those people especially on facebook. I am very careful what I put on facebook because I know that I have friends who are going through one trial or the other. If I keep boasting and telling everyone how great life is (which I know is not always the case), I would hurt people's feeling and loose some good friends. But I guess boastful people are selfish people and do not care about anybody but themselves. So how do you deal with such people?

8 comments:

  1. I am in another country and I study the country's language in the cultural center. There I met this new friend who likes to talk how she is being praised of being good on learning the said language. I too had admired her for that and I was also complimenting her the first few times she talked about it. But now, I slowly get irritated. She also brags about the things her husband have and how expensive they are; how much money her in-laws gave her; and how much her new clothes are including the make up that her in-laws gave to her.

    There was one time she chatted with her sister using my computer. She said that seh cannot send them money these days because of financial problem..and she added that she is way better than her friend (me) because her husband sends money monthly while my husband don't. The nerve! These are actually just a few irritating things about her.

    Just recently we, together ith our husbdand, attended to our common friend's housewarming. My husband told me something in their language wich she (boastful friend) voluntarily translated it. Thinking that the translation was correct, I got embarrassed and confronted my husband about it when we got home only to find out that it was wrongly translated. I told her (boastful friend) about it and instead of asking for apology, she told me that I should have looked it up on the translator before I got angry. That was the last straw. I told her that we can't be together and that we need space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are spot on. Boastful people are ones with complex, usually inferior complex. The make up for their complex by boasting of mediocre achievements while being insensitive to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sarah for reading my article and commenting. I am glad you enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to “return the favor”.I'm trying to find things to
    improve my site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!



    Look at my blog ... wordpress woocommerce template

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no patience for boastful people. I just ignore them. Life is too serious already and the last thing I would need is a boastful person. They have issues and they need to deal with their issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To get the most benefit from your social interactions,
    focus your time and efforts in the relationships that involve intimacy with those
    you can trust and talk with about anything. I suggest is the right spot to get types of strategy to skin related issues.
    Although this might be just the thing for a timely repair it does little or no to help the skin about the long phrase basis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings from Ohio! I'm bored to death at work so I decided
    to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break.
    I really like the knowledge you present here and can't wait to take a look when I get home.
    I'm shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone
    .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, excellent
    site!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, its good paragraph on the topic of media print, we all understand
    media is a great source of facts.

    ReplyDelete