Friday 16 January 2009

Pushing it

I recalled the popular saying that goes ‘cut your coat according to your size’. I have always been a strong advocate of spending within my means. Thankfully, I am not one of those girls who go crazy for designer stuff (not that there is any thing wrong with loving designer stuff). I really envy those who can just go out and spend a fortune on shoes or bags without batting an eye lid. I wish I can do the same without feeling somewhat guilty. I noticed this behaviour in me since I came to the UK. To me, every penny counts. Being a self-sponsored student in the UK is not easy. I do not have the luxury of going out to clubs or bars because I could save that money and get some nice vegetable or food stuff in one of the supermarkets. I sometimes ask myself if studying abroad or doing a higher degree is the will of God for me. An answer I got was that the will of God is that one wills for him/her self.

It is like being in a wilderness all on my own sometimes. I really get all emotional and cry sometimes just having that burden of paying my fees. But no one but me is to be blamed. No one forced me to go further in my education. I wanted to. Doing my research in my home country would be a total disaster because of the amount of strikes that can prolong a 4 year course to 10 years (I am not kidding here). When I was doing my first degree in my country, I remember one strike that lasted almost a year and some months. It pains me the way things are run in my country.

I pray doing this higher degree pays off. I pray I get more than I have spent doing this degree. Well, I guess that I feel blue because I have just parted with another huge amount of money for the final year of my study. I am so proud I got this far. I am thankful to God for his mercies on myself and my loved ones. If you are planning to study abroad, good luck and make sure you save properly before embarking on your journey. Have a fantastic day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment