Tuesday 5 December 2017

Stockfish

I love the taste of stockfish in my Nigerian dishes. Many Nigerian delicacies are enhanced by just dropping few pieces of the fish in the dish. However, the aroma of the fish does need some getting used to. To me, the smell is not as bad as some have made it out to be; it is just like getting used to the smell of stilton or brie cheese. The smell is part of the package, I believe.



Here is a picture of the Okra soup I made, which was infused with spices, dry fish and crayfish. Can't remember if I added stockfish to this soup. You can imagine the miasma that hung around my home after making this meal. The combination of the smell of dry fish and crayfish is not for the feeble-minded! Ha! I think it is an acquired taste and it tastes delicious.

Oh, I can only imagine the bewilderment of anyone not accustomed to the pungent smell of the fish when they come into my home after making a dish with it! Excellent!


I enjoyed the BBC coverage of the Norwegian stockfish and the market that Africa provides for it. Here is a link to the BBC report http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42137476


No comments:

Post a Comment