Thursday 27 February 2014

Why is it challenging for some African Migrants to climb up the job ladder?


I was running to catch a train when someone quickly asked me if I wanted a newspaper. I looked at the person and my mouth opened with shock. I know this man. I have seen him at the University campus and I have even spoken to him. What is a Masters student doing distributing newspapers to people in city centre? We exchanged greetings and I told him that I will chat with him later. When I sat on the train, my mind was going through so many things. He is from one of the African countries, very well spoken, intelligent and jovial. I met up with him after some weeks and we were discussing about life in general. I couldn't help but ask him what he was doing distributing newspapers. He opened up to me that it has been a struggle for him here in the UK. He cannot get a decent job despite having good results and having a Masters degree. He had to make do with distributing newspapers in city centre. I almost wept.  I have nothing against menial jobs. I am a great advocate for starting small but it should be in line with what one wants in life or on temporary basis. I met up with another friend who introduced me to her friend. He was a fantastic artist but has been working in a call centre for 10 years. I asked him if he was content working in a call centre and the same story was narrated. It is so difficult for many African migrants to secure a well paid job. I have met some African migrants that have broken that mould. I have met African consultants, doctors, engineers, barristers, lecturers etc. Why is it hard for others to break from that mould of settling in a mediocre job and life? A friend answered that question. He said it had to do with the mentality of many Africans. They are too timid to go for positions that they are well qualified for. I didn't accept this reason. Perhaps true for some but there are friends I know that have never given up but keep getting knock downs from organisations. I know a work mate that wanted to go for a managerial position. He was frustrated out of going for that position. When he was doing the job he was more than qualified for, no one bothered him but once he showed an interest in climbing the ladder, all the office politics was out in motion to frustrate him. There are many factors mentioned by people I have held this discussion with that goes against the African migrant finding a well paid job in the UK.

One is having that mentality we have in Africa that going to university to study some so called courses we hold in high regards will definitely open doors. Someone mentioned that to find a good paying job in the UK, one has to strategise their plan. Ask questions such as What is hot in the market now? What are the requirements to get into that position? Work double hard to excel in getting all the qualifications and certifications needed to break in. It is no longer only degrees that gets one a decent job, certifications are well sought after now. Why are people not following this route?
Another is the accent. This is often mentioned as a great barrier when one goes for an interview. But I found it difficult swallowing this reason. What about the other foreigners with strong accent in high position? It doesn't make sense.


Is entrepreneurship the way forward? If no one will hire you, you can be your own boss right? Some Africans are already doing this. Others said they want to be their own boss but it will cost a lot of money which they don’t have and they need something to pay the bills. I could go on and on but I would like to stop with these few questions. Why are so many qualified African migrants in low paying jobs? Why is it difficult to climb the ladder? I will share my own experience in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment