Wednesday 5 March 2014

Ash Wednesday




I woke up this morning, went straight to the freezer to get some meat to defrost. My plans for the meat was to make some delicious meal with it. I then got a text message from my sister. It is Ash Wednesday. Of course it is Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent). I had spent some part of yesterday making pancakes. I really don’t understand the spiritual significance of pancake Tuesday but I joined in just because I fancied some pancakes. Anyway back to today. There was a part in my sister’s text message that intrigued me. It was about meat and Ash Wednesday. I was born a Catholic and used to practise everything to do with Catholicism. So, I remembered that on Ash Wednesdays, we go to mass, get the ash on our foreheads and importantly, we do not eat meat. However, since leaving the Catholic Church years ago, I have eaten meat on Ash Wednesdays. I honestly believe that I am not doing anything wrong by eating meat on Ash Wednesday.

However, the meat eating got to me. I felt a bit guilty that I was planning to have meat today. So, I went back and put the meat away. I went and got me some fish and made a lovely meal instead. I was still craving for meat but wanted to honour today. I must say that I kind of felt that I should not be eating meat today even though I am no longer a Catholic. What was your day like today?





No comments:

Post a Comment