Friday 24 February 2017

Storm Doris- My travel woes

I am home today because I feel poorly! When the Met Office warned about the advent of Storm Doris, I didn't think I would be affected any way other than being hit by strong winds. 

Little did I know what was in store for me! I got to London Kings Cross at about 17:15 to get the 17.44 train home. On getting to the train station it was chock-a-block. I could not even get close to the main entrance of Kings Cross station because of the large number of people in and around the station. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. 

I braced myself for a long wait. 

I waited and waited and waited!

I got colder and colder and colder!

I knew that the cold was going to affect me! I was just too cold and hungry but also too weak to get something to eat.

I waited and finally, after waiting almost 4 hours after my arrival at the station, a train departure was announced. I ran for it but on getting close to the doors, I could see that the train was full to the brim and there was no space for me and others to get in. I was almost close to crying. 

I was so cold and weak, I kept running down the length of the train looking for any carriage that I could squeeze past people to get in. Finally, I squeezed in. Even though the train was not going to my final destination, I thought it would do, anything other than waiting in the cold station without any news of what was going on.

The train reached its final destination and we were all ushered back out into the cold and started another wait in the cold. Soon after, it was announced that all passengers would have to complete the remainder of their journeys via taxi, paid for by the rail company. There were hundreds of people at the train station waiting to get on the taxis which must have cost them a small fortune. 

After a few more hours of queuing, it was now my turn to be allocated a taxi with 3 other commuters travelling to the same destination. The drive was good bearing in mind they put 4 strangers in a taxi. I initially thought of how awkward the journey would be with strangers butiIt is funny how adversity can bring people together. This same 4 people, had we sat on the train would not have spoken to one another but here we were, chatting like old friend about the event of the day. It would take another hour on the taxi to get home.


I am grateful that I made it home and on the mend now. I read that Storm Doris was not too kind to many.

I got home OK and even though I am recovering from the effects of the cold weather and time lost, I am grateful no other hurt came to me! My thoughts and prayers are with those who suffered more due to storm Doris!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. I was also affected. I'm glad you got home safely in the end. I hope you are nice and warm now? Thoughts. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Evelyn. I am fine now.

    ReplyDelete