Wednesday 1 March 2017

It's a new month!

I woke up this morning to a  buzzing phone full of text and Whatsapp messages. Wow, I thought to myself, something must be happening. On a normal day, I don't get a lot of messages in the mornings.  As I got up from the bed, my stomach flickers with some excitement and I wondered who the messages were from and the content in them. My mind segues through possible contents and even meandered through some fantasies.

It could be good news from my siblings or mum!
Or, it could be text messages from an organisation inviting me for a talk!
Or, It could be a surprise from my dearest!
Or, it could be pictures, memes or annoying videos sent by some random person that I am unaware has my telephone number!

I take my time opening each of the messages. I open the first message from my sister and it was a message wishing me a 'happy new month' . I replied and thanked her for her thoughtfulness. I open the next message and it was the same type of message wishing me a happy new month. Each of the messages I received were wishing me a happy new month.

I noticed that most of these messages were from Nigerians, there is a pattern to this and this phenomenon has really caught up with most Nigerians. Each month is the same. I receive these sort of messages followed by a bombardment of prayers and memes prophesying safety, protection and God's guidance for the month.

I put this phenomenon down to two critical trends:

1. Religion: There are several religious groups in Nigeria including the latest wave and proliferation of evangelical churches that has brought with it a narrative led by 'men of God'. It starts with prayers offered for the new month and messages from 'men of God' wishing their congregation a happy new month. A harangue that suggests that in the midst of the evil going on in the world today, 'one must appreciate and be grateful for making it into a new month.

2. The life expectancy: According to the World Bank 2012 report, the average life expectancy for a Nigerian residing in Nigeria is 52 years. Nigerians appreciate life and being alive!  Who wouldn't be? After all, it is not easy being alive and living in a country with a harsh economy, lack of good governance, high poverty rate, lack of social amenities, facilities and infrastructure.

The trend has also caught up with Nigerians in diaspora. Half of the messages I received were from Nigerians in diaspora.

I am not in anyway against this, but seek to understand this phenomenon. Is a new phenomenon or have I been in the dark and this has been going on for ages? Maybe it is a universal phenomenon and everyone receives a text message every month. Please share your experiences.

Thank you to all those who took their time to wish me a happy new month. I appreciate! Here is wishing you a wonderful month too!


No comments:

Post a Comment