Wednesday 17 March 2010

Question???

I was watching comic sports relief last night and they showed this HIV project in Nairobi, Kenya.
The statistics of people living with HIV/AIDS was unbelievable. The average person lives to his/her 40s (life expectancy). Children are orphaned by parents who have died of the disease. There was a story in that programme that caught my attention and brought tears to my eyes. There was this lady whose husband has 3 wives. The second wife died of AIDS so she came to the centre to be tested. The lady tested positive to HIV on the programme. The shock on the woman's face was just so touching. Immediately, my thoughts just went to the woman's husband. How could he do this to her or to all the women he married? I then thought, why would any woman want to be with a man as his second, third etc. wife with the tale of HIV/AIDS paramount? My thoughts did not stop there. I thought of innocent partners whose other halves have played away without protection. I mean do people have a moral obligation to the ones they are with to protect their lives?

I just think sometimes people are so selfish. They do not think of the effects and consequences of their actions on others. Do people still make the mistake of sleeping around without protection? Why would a married man know that he has got a wife at home and yet live recklessly and then bring whatever he caught to his innocent wife at home or vice versa? The question in my mind is how come a whole village is almost wiped out by this disease? Is it due to promiscuity? Is it living in denial that the disease exist? Is it poverty? Thank God for those helping out in these communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment