Friday 12 August 2016

Trending- Simone Manuel's Olympic gold medal in swimming

Simone Manuel is the first African-American female swimmer to win an Olympic gold in an individual swimming event.

Moments like this inspire me! People like Simone Manuel motivate me. Yes, if she can do it, so can I!

Her tears of happiness drew tears from my eyes! What an inspiration. Not because of her race but the determination to win and succeed in the face of whatever barriers there are out there. 

She states:
"This medal is not just for me, it's for some of the African-Americans who have been before me and been inspirations," she said.

"I hope I can be an inspiration for others. This medal is for the people who come behind me and get into the sport."

BBC News gave a well compelling history of African-Americans and swimming. They state that African-Americans have been shut out of swimming pools for generations.

Swimming pools have been a racially sensitive flashpoint in the US for generations. African-American people were often denied access to pools in the segregation era, and even after its abolition white people found other ways to exclude them. Nor has building pools for black areas been a priority.


Jeff Wiltse, in his book Contested Waters: A Social History of Swimming Pools in America, argues that white anxieties over contact with black people fuelled this historic lack of integration at US swimming pools.


*It seems crazy that in this day and age, race issues are still prevalent. I remember when Serena and Venus Williams came on the scene in tennis, the backlash, the boos and the hostility they dealt with, but they still went on to make history.*

Note to self: No matter the opposition, barriers and obstacles, failure is not an option! Keep your eyes on the goal. If you fail, try again! Make mistakes but never quit!

Well done Simone! We are so proud of you!


Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37057236

No comments:

Post a Comment