Tuesday 18 March 2008

The sleeping giant

I honestly love reading and getting myself acquainted with events in Nigeria. I also enjoy reading articles by Dele Momodu and Simon kolawole. Infact they have just written amazing articles on the way Nigeria is. The fact is that this sleeping giant needs everything to make it wake up and take its position in African matters. I was in Nigeria some months ago and the same issues still existed. There was no constant supply of electricity, the roads were just horrible with pot holes (in fact one cannot call it road anymore). There were stories of how armed robbers cause mayhem to families and the story goes on and on. And did I make mention of the driving there? Some people were driving like animals. I think there should be a legislation on which people are allowed to drive on the road for the safety of the innocent pedestrian or well trained driver. All these problems have been laid on our leaders for failing to steer the country into development path.

When people tell me that they are having fun in Nigeria, I really marvel at how we still have that positive attitude in us to still laugh when all things around us seems to go on the negative path. There are Nigerians who are so hard working and talented. I am really proud of those but there are some, whose fathers, brothers, mothers, aunties, sister’s name it have contributed in bringing this wonderful country down. For public money stolen, these thieves bear the loss of a child on their head that could not eat, go to hospital with up to date equipment. I even think these corrupt individuals do not have any shame at all. they have the best houses, their children go to the best schools, they travel all over the world and one thing you can still smell in them is their mediocrity outlook on life.

I also think that something needs to be done about the population of that country. Why keep increasing when the means to support is limited? I hope and pray that Nigeria wakes up. I pray that the whole of Africa will stand up and take their position in world affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment