Wednesday 27 April 2016

The beauty of language

I read a beautifully articulated and educational article by Nkem Ifejika.  In his article, Nkem takes the reader on a journey that segues from his childhood to his identity highlighting issues and information of the Igbo tribe, culture, history and people.

I enjoyed the author’s explanation of his name Nkem Ifejika (or Nkemakonam Ifejika in full) which he explained means "may I not lack what is mine", while Ifejika means "what I have is greater".

The article highlights the inevitable extinction of the language if the language is not bequeathed to the younger generation.

One high point for me was the highlighting of the marginalisation of the Igbo people and the dissatisfaction that gives rise to secessionist groups.

It was a well written article and I thoroughly enjoyed it.



Read full article on http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36139908

No comments:

Post a Comment