Sunday 3 April 2016

Why I decided to go natural!!

My hair used to be so healthy. I had great length and texture. Some years ago, my hair dresser noticed a small bald patch on my hair. She said it was due to stress and that my hair would grow back. I was clueless as to what the relaxer (chemicals we use in straightening our hair) was doing to my hair. Every few months I'd go back to the hair dresser's and get my hair relaxed. I noticed that the bald spot wasn't getting better. In fact the small bald patch was spreading and getting worse. I thought of how to get my hair healthy. I thought by relaxing and keeping on top of my hair regimen I'd reverse the damage. I even changed the make of relaxer and it made the damage worse. 

Tired and frustrated I went on YouTube to search for solutions and I came across amazing natural hair vlogs with amazing wealth of information. It was like I had an epiphany. Suddenly I couldn't wait to chop off the damaged ends. I last relaxed my hair September 2015. I started my transition in February 2016. I started noticing my natural curly hair and it was growing healthier and fuller. There was noticeable improvement with the bald patch. I read up on alopecia and I have booked an appointment with my GP just to make sure there is no underlying issue. I read up on how to care for my natural hair. I got so excited. I developed my own hair regimen. At 6 months post relaxer, I did the big chop!!



Big chop day


I felt liberated. I felt free of all the harsh chemicals that damaged my hair. I didn't miss my damaged hair. I took this as an opportunity to look after my natural hair and love it just the way it is. I am not comparing it to anyone's hair, texture, curl pattern. This is a new beginning!!


As you can see below, the bald patch.




My hair is absolutely amazing now. It is growing really well. I enjoy just getting in the shower and washing my hair. I enjoy scowling through the wealth of information out there. I am enjoying just being me!! Have a wonderful Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment