Thursday 8 December 2016

Utopian world?

I watched the programme 'Black and British: A forgotten history presented by David Olusoga.  The programme was well presented and the history well told. I felt a sense of pride hearing about some of the contributions made by Black Minority Ethnics (BME) to the United Kingdom.

David Olusoga was brilliant in the programme. I cried in parts and I felt motivated to go and study more about black history.

.................................................................................................................................................

So I was on the train this morning commuting to London and behind me were two 'gentlemen' chatting away. I get busy with checking my emails and reading some of the articles I brought with me on the train.

Normally, I never care about people's conversations on the train. I close my eyes to rest as my commute takes more than an hour. The men continued chatting away with such intensity. I could hear them clearly and they were talking about immigrants.

I try not to listen but they were sat just behind me and I could hear them and I am sure others sat around where I was could hear them too.

Now, I have read racist and hateful comments online but never heard it from someone's mouth. The men were eloquently spoken but the things that came out of their mouths were vile. I could not believe my ears. I will not mention or repeat the things they said as it was their conversation but it got me scared.

When I got to my destination and was getting out of the train, I had to quickly take a look at these men whose imperialistic ideas were shocking. These men were in their 60s or so and well dressed.

I felt saddened! I never knew that in this day and age, such hatred still exists. I felt saddened and hoped that they were not in the medical field, police or any position that requires them to help a minority ethnic.

.................................................................................................................................................

On a positive note, there are amazing men and women doing great things to help those around them. Let us continue to make noise about these people! Continue to be the change that you want to see and do not allow any negativity bring you down!



No comments:

Post a Comment