Saturday 24 December 2016

Christmas eve!

It is Christmas Eve and we all have different traditions that we carry out on the eve of Christmas. What are yours?

As an adult I reminisce about my childhood and how Christmas was celebrated in my home. I now look back and appreciate everything my parents did to make it a magical experience for me and my siblings.

My dad usually took us to his ancestral home town to spend the Christmas with relatives. Christmas Eve was always so special growing up. On Christmas eve, we would either attend the night vigil in the village or the Christmas mass. Because Christmas day in my ancestral home town was celebrated by festivities which includes eating and sharing food and visiting relatives, my siblings and I would get our specially made Christmas outfit ready, put our gifts under the Christmas tree and help prepare ingredients that would be used for cooking the next day. On Christmas day, there would be food and everyone would eat to their heart's content. After eating, we would take a walk to our relatives house and then back home to receive our guests!

The sound of ogene (Igbo native musical instrument) brings every one out to watch the young dancers and mmawu (masquerade) perform. They get sprayed some money and the festivities continue!

Please share your childhood memories of Christmas with me. I am interested in traditions and customs of people from different parts of the world.

Merry Christmas everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment