Thursday 30 June 2016

I am enjoying reading Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

So, I have not read a novel in a very long time - I mainly concentrated on academic reading. Last weekend, I was out and about with family and I saw this book 'Purple Hibiscus'. I looked at it, flicked through it and then dropped it. I longingly took it back again, sat down some more, contemplated on buying it and dropped it back again. My darling husband saw that I wanted it. He asked me 'why don't you get it'? I replied that I would not have the time to read it. I moved on to look at other things in the shop. Later on same day, he handed my some books. I looked at the books and then back at him with a smile. He surprised me and got the book for me! He said, 'it would keep you company on your commute to work'. With excitement and being touched with the gesture, I gave him a hug and put my book in my bag and put his in the compartment of the car.

 He was right! The book did take me to a million journeys within my commute to work.

As I opened the pages of the book, I immediately got drawn into this world that was abysmal a times and at the same time utopian and in some odd way, not too dissimilar to mine as a young girl. Chimamanda's writing is exceptional. She draws you in and makes you feel part of this utopian world.

As I flicked through the pages and read through, I laughed, cried, hissed and huffed. I had to control my emotions at times as I was getting carried away by the story. Through the pages of the book, I became a teenager again, I was Kambili. The girl without a voice. The girl that did as she was told. The girl that wanted to please her parents and be the 'perfect daughter'.

The book not only becomes the story of Kambili but also mine. It took me down memory lane of my own life. My early years, I was brought up as a Catholic, then my mum converted to 'new generational' churches and took us with her. I never questioned my faith, never questioned the doctrines of the different churches we went to even when I had so many questions. So when I opened the pages of this book, I immediately connected with Kambili. Not to give the story away, if you love reading books and like me, took a break from it, this is one that would gently ease you into reading again.

Chimamanda Adichie is a literary queen and did an amazing job in the story telling in this book.

My husband got me her 'Half of a yellow sun' years ago. I shall be opening the pages after I drop this book 'Purple Hibiscus'.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment