Sunday 2 October 2016

Inspire- Black history month

What does it mean to be black British in today's Great Britain?

I am very proud of my identity. I am of African origin and I am British. I live in a multicultural England and I am one of the many that call the United Kingdom home.

My family is interracial and race, if anything is appreciated and celebrated in my home. I am proud of my African heritage. I am who I am and I am happy and proud of who I am.

There was a time I used to be afraid of speaking out because I was scared that my color and accent would cause me to be ostracized and not be accepted as a true Brit.

I was afraid that my accent would cost me jobs. There was a time that I thought that there was no need to apply for certain positions because none of my kind were in the organisation never mind being in that position. What was the point I'd ask myself.

But I say to myself 'I am who I am and my accent is part of who I am'. No more fear!

There are black minority ethnics who are doing amazing things, who have worked so hard and are in positions of influence. This gives me hope!

I tell myself never to give up! I work extra hard and put myself in a place and position where I am equal to the competition.

I have met amazing human beings who believe in me, who stand for equality and diversity, who are fair and just.

They gave me a chance - a position that I so wanted!

There are people of great integrity like this who stand for what is fair and right.

There is much more that needs to be done about racial issues in Great Britain. There is still the issue of institutional racism and racism that is internalised and not spoken but manifests in a myriad of ways.

Regardless of the rhetoric that suggests that those who were not born in England are not true Brits, there is no doubt in my mind that I am not one.

Who I am and the attributes used in categorising and giving me an identity does not stop me from being me, carrying out my passions and living my dreams. I am still passionate about finding solutions to poverty, bad governance, war etc in Africa.

If you ask me, who are you Lily? I would give you a philosophical answer and also tell you that I am who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment