Friday 4 January 2008

Brilliant New Year


What a wonderful year 2008 is going to be. I have decided to make it one that I will make use of my potentials. As a postgraduate student in development studies a lot of news do grab my attention....especially that of developing countries. I wish that somehow, people are empowered especially in Africa to make that big move towards development. I was just shocked when I read Vanguard online about people killed on New years day in Port Harcourt (Nigeria). Niger Delta Vigilante claimed responsibility. I believe this behaviour is totally unacceptable and uncalled for. Innocent people have been killed and according to Ateke Tom the leader, More will die. If I read Vanguard correctly, Ateke claims he is fighting for the Niger Delta people and all the suppression they have gone through. My question is, How can you kill people you fight for or cause them grieve? I was travelled to Nigeria last year and nothing seems to be really moving. the roads are still bad, no electricity, the price of fuel still increasing. Why is it that we cannot innovate and change from oil dependency to that of industrialisation? A lot of research has gone into highlighting the issues that hold the African continent from progressing, Why can't leaders work towards eradicating these issues for the continent. Why is it that Blacks are so quick to kill their fellow blacks without thinking. Why are people killing themselves in Kenya? Why can we Blacks in Africa not learn how to dialogue and respect one another. Why do we hate each other so much and not live together in peace. Other developed countries live in harmony and respect one another. What is wrong with Africa? Where do we start to make the wrongs done by our fore fathers right? This year, I hope to contribute to the development process through highlighting some issues and seeking for ways they can be dealt with. From me, have a wonderful New year.





No comments:

Post a Comment