Thursday 10 January 2008

Humanity

As the current killings in Kenya hots up and people are busy killing their fellow people, I wonder what goes on in the mind of these killers. Well, it is not only Kenya that is experiencing killings, in the Niger delta area of Nigeria, innocent people are also getting killed in the name of freedom fighting and marginalisation. Common criminals just get up, get armed and go to the streets and start killing. The event that just made me ask, where Africa is going, is the killings that happened in the Niger Delta area of Nigeria last week (I blogged about it). Touts in the name or guise of freedom fighting suddenly went to the streets of Portharcourt, opened fire on innocent citizens who were going about their own businesses. Blood was shed, police men died, innocent souls died, hearts were broken, people psycologically scared (maybe for life) and the leader of this group still boosts that many will die. Tell me how shedding the blood of the people you fight for got to do with fighting for injustice? I wonder what the future holds for the young and what legacy we are leaving for the next generation.

I can imagine what the innocent people are going through. I have experienced trauma during conflicts too. I experienced the conflict in the North of Nigeria during the Miss World crisis 2002(go to this site to read more.http://www.hrw.org/reports/2003/nigeria0703/3.htm#_Toc45700666). Oh! what an event. Gun shots everywhere, my heart racing, sleepless nights as all you hear was gun shots and shouting. Smokes going up everywhere as houses were burnt down. What people did to their fellow humans, unspeakable. I was traumatised by that even and pray nobody goes through it. With Africa or let me say Nigeria, every little thing brings about unprovoked attacks. weather it be war in Afghanistan or other newspaper publication that has to do with religion and nothing to do with innocent citizens. At this stage, I pray that God protects the innocent in all waring countries and bring peace to warring lands and stop the blood shed. Enough is enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment