Friday 29 February 2008

Achievement

When can one say that they have achieved what they wanted in life? What is achievement and by what standards can it be measured. Some say they have achieved when they have completed their education, some say they have achieved when they have met Mr. Right. Others believe achievement has to be something grand. Well, I do not think any one is wrong with their definition or views on achievement. I wanted to talk on this topic because there was a dialogue that just went on with a mate on How “Abuja babes” are making it. Such stories are not my cup of tea but it seems to be just the normal gist of babes who maybe “envy such a lifestyle or want similar life style. The story goes on about how these “big chicks” make their money. I hate such stories and I think without proof, there is no need to indulge in such fantasy stories. For all we know, these “bigger babes” might just be hard working and earning a decent living. And if a man decides to spoil them rotten, take them abroad, buy houses for them and big car then Hi five to them after all it is not easy and not all babes who indulge in same business get anything tangible from it.

Second story was about a mutual mate getting married to a member of “who is who” in Nigeria. Again, such issues do not rock my boat. If one meets a good man, fantastic but a man does not determine who one is or does it?

Again, to be an ass licker is not what I admire in people in fact I cannot stand such people. They lick the ass of any rich person, any person they can gain from, and any person with big names etc just to feel among. Such people I am even scared of as they will do anything to be accepted in “the fold”. They will back stab, gossip, even plan evil for one. I say this because I have had an experience where people would back stab in a second just to use one to make friends with so called (to their standard) “high class” people.

Anyway, the crux of this write up is that some people see achievement as any of these, making friends with important names, marrying into rich homes or famous people, etc. but for me, achievement means that one is constantly challenging one’s self to improve, to make it, to be a better person, to touch lives positively. It means more than just personal gratification. To me, it means that lives are also touched with my achievement and not just me. I am extremely proud of my self, where I have come from and where I am today. I am extremely optimistic about the future because with what I have invested today and with the love of family and few great friends, tomorrow will be fantastic. My sweat, my self, that is what I base achievement on.

2 comments:

  1. As Fela said - "Outside World na Crase World, Na Crase World be that". Our value system has been turned upside down and what we have now is the withering remains of what was once called a great nation. Someone I met at the airport recently said - " In Nigeria ,Integrity is not about doing the right things and following principles. You have integrity when you are able to provide for your family and build a house for your father-in law"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comrade, great comment there. I can understand when Nigerians and Africans put their families first in terms of welfare etc. The poverty, heartache, pains caused by continuous neglect by our so called leaders makes everyone think of themselves only but I believe change will come when we move from such mentality to that of thinking of the whole good of everyone around us.

    ReplyDelete